Whether it's your first time moving house, or you're a seasoned mover, it's always useful to have a checklist of things to think about and to action before and on
One month before, or as soon as your moving date is confirmed:
- Appoint a removal company
- Inform utilities companies and arrange for final readings and reconnections at your new property
- Notify family, friends, employers and schools
- Contact banks and credit card companies; insurance providers; TV licence; doctors; dentists; vets etc.
- Arrange a postal forwarding service
- Start packing items that aren't used on a day to day basis and move to storage if necessary
One week before:
- Cancel local deliveries and services
- Finish packing, ensuring all boxes are clearly labelled with the room they're going to in your new home
- Prepare detailed directions and an itinerary with emergency numbers for your moving company
- Settle any outstanding bills with local retailers. Pick up dry cleaning, and return library books etc.
The day before:
- Make sure you have the keys to your new home, or have arranged to collect them
- Pack your "Survival on the day" box with items including the kettle; tea bags; coffee; mugs; toothpaste and brush; small tool kit; toilet roll; basic cultery; light
- You may need to reserve a parking space for the removal van if you don't have a driveway
The day of the move:
- Record all utility meter readings (gas, electricity, and water)
- Once your removal company has loaded everything, take one final look around to check nothing has been left
- Before leaving check that all windows are secure and water, gas and electricity supplies are switched off.
- Leave keys, any documents relating to the property or equipment remaining at the house in an obvious place for the new owners.
Contact us today for more advice on how to prepare for your move